- SMS Paging using a GSM phone, or a dedicated GSM modem
- Tap paging using a custom script with their Hayes modem
We decided on using SMS paging with a dedicated GSM modem, since it provided out of the box funtionality and the modem was relatively inexpensive. Here is the modem we are going to use:
I also set up a test using an AT&T Motorola Q to use as a demo of how the messages would look. I coudlnt find very much documentation on using SMS paging, so it took a while to figure out.
SMS Paging in OpsMgr 2007 will work with any GSM device that appears as a modem on COM1 in device manager. The difficult part is finding drivers that will allow the OS to see your device as a modem. ActiveSync DOES NOT allow the device to be seen as a modem, you usually will need drivers from the device manufacturer.
Configuring a Moto Q 9H (AT&T) for SMS Paging Notifications in OpsMgr
1. Download Motorola USB Modem (32 or 64 bit) drivers here http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/nss/driversNplugins.asp
2. Unzip and install the driver installation package on the RMS
3. Configure the device to act as a USB Modem:
a. On the device, go to Start>System Tools>Settings>More>Connections>USB Device Type
b. Change type to “Modem”
4. Attach device to RMS
5. Configure SMS Notifications and Subscriptions in OpsMgr